Solved Not booting after upgrading to Ventura

Bananeman

AMD OS X Member
My system does not boot anymore after upgrading from Monterey to Ventura. I managed to install Ventura without any problems running OpenCore 0.8.6 and I did not change Config.plist before upgrading.

The issue is that the system starts booting, I get a lot of output (verbose mode) and after a while the output stops and after a brief pause the system reboots.

The last message I see differs; is there some way of capturing this output (i.e. not the OC output)? At some point I often got a message stating "deferred rematching count 2. IOG flags 0x3 (0x51)" but after playing around with the DeviceProperties section this seems to have disappeared. (Note that I previously only had the default "PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b,0x0)" entry in there before upgrading and the system was working fine).

I have tried disabling all kexts in Config.plist except for Lilu and Whatevergreen, which did not make a difference. I am using the latest AMD patches for Config.plist.

System info:
  • AMD 3900XT cpu
  • AMD RX 580 gpu
  • Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master board
  • Memory: 64GB
  • OpenCore 0.8.6
  • Latest kexts (Lilu, Whatevergreen)
Config.plist can be found here: https://pastebin.com/e1gC89c0

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
  1. You are lacking an SSDT-USBX.aml, which is required for USB power settings in macOS.
  2. You should not be using SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA.aml or any SSDT-PLUG table. This ACPI table is not required for AMD systems.
  3. You should not be using any DeviceProperties for an Intel Coffee Lake IGPU with an AMD system, ever!
  4. The two main kexts that no system will run without are Lilu.kext and VirtualSMC.kext.
  5. WhateverGreen.kext is usually required for the GPU, but it is not always essential to the system booting.
  6. You should not be using the SMCDellSensors.kext, as you don't have a Dell system!
  7. Not sure you should be using the CpuTscSync.kext, most AMD Zen systems don't use this kext.
  8. You should not have Kernel >Quirks > XhciPortLimit enabled/set as True, as it doesn't work in Monterey or Ventura. It has not worked in macOS since Big Sur 11.3.
  9. You should not have Mixc > Security > SecureBootModel set as x86legacy, it should be set as Default when using a T2 compatible SMBIOS such as iMacPro1,1.
  10. You have Mixc > Boot HideAuxillary set as false, this will populate your picker list with a lot of options, when you don't need to see them. Set this to True and the Drivers and Tools will be hidden, keeping the Picker List or GUI clean and less cluttered. To display the Tools and Drivers on the Picker List or GUI simply press the spacebar.
  11. You are missing the debug=0x100 boot argument, which might help with the Verbose text not stopping when your system kernel panics.
  12. I assume you have Above 4G Decoding enabled in your BIOS, as you are not using the boot arg npci=0x3000
  13. You have two entries for the Realtek Audio device, one in the DeviceProperties with Layout-ID=1 and a second in the Boot Args alcid=13. If the Boot arg is correct delete the DeviceProperties entry.
  14. You do not require 19 x Drivers for your system to boot.
  15. These drivers are essential.
    • OpenRuntime.efi
    • HfsPlus.efi
  16. These are not essential but worth keeping
    • OpenCanopy.efi - for OC GUI (requires Resources folder to be populated and Misc >Boot > PickerMode to be set as External not Builtin).
    • ResetNvramEntry.efi - for clearing Nvram and rebooting system from OC boot screen.
    • ToggleSipEntry.efi - for disabling SIP from OC boot screen.
    • CrScreenshotDxe.efi - handy for taking screenshots of issues in OC.
    • OpenLinuxBoot.efi - If you boot Linux
Try this revised config.plist with your current OC EFI and see if it works any better. Don't forget to add your SMBIOS data back in to the config.plist before you use it.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 17

Bananeman

AMD OS X Member
Hi @Edhawk , thanks a lot for your elaborate feedback and input! Much appreciated!

Feedback regarding 2 points that you mentioned:
6: Clear, a leftover from the fact that I turned a Dell laptop into a Hackintosh some time ago :) (The kext was disabled in this config.plist though)
12: Above 4G Decoding is indeed enabled in the BIOS

I have tried the config.plist that you provided (after putting the SMBIOS data back in). Unfortunately I am still experiencing a boot loop. I have also tried disabling Whatevergreen, which did not make a difference.

The last message I saw when I tried to boot is: "X86PlatformPlugin::getCPUCStates - Unexpected data for C1"

edit: tried booting again five times, always ending up getting a different last message. I have added a couple of screenshots (photos from my monitor ;) ) to this posting.

Also perhaps good to know is that I have an NVidia 3080 card in my machine in addition to the RX 580, however when I removed that card I had the same issue. So I am assuming the NVidia is not the problem, also Monterey was working fine with both cards installed (the RX 580 is only there for the Hackintosh).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    710.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    640.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Bananeman

AMD OS X Member
Tried booting a few more times. Seems "random" when the reboot happens or at least at different times, based on the output on the screen.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Hi @Edhawk , thanks a lot for your elaborate feedback and input! Much appreciated!

Feedback regarding 2 points that you mentioned:
6: Clear, a leftover from the fact that I turned a Dell laptop into a Hackintosh some time ago :) (The kext was disabled in this config.plist though)
12: Above 4G Decoding is indeed enabled in the BIOS

I have tried the config.plist that you provided (after putting the SMBIOS data back in). Unfortunately I am still experiencing a boot loop. I have also tried disabling Whatevergreen, which did not make a difference.

The last message I saw when I tried to boot is: "X86PlatformPlugin::getCPUCStates - Unexpected data for C1"

edit: tried booting again five times, always ending up getting a different last message. I have added a couple of screenshots (photos from my monitor ;) ) to this posting.

Also perhaps good to know is that I have an NVidia 3080 card in my machine in addition to the RX 580, however when I removed that card I had the same issue. So I am assuming the NVidia is not the problem, also Monterey was working fine with both cards installed (the RX 580 is only there for the Hackintosh).
Do you have AppleMCEReporterDisabler?

Bananeman

AMD OS X Member
Do you have AppleMCEReporterDisabler?
YES!! That fixed it :)

I must have disabled it after upgrading and when the system was not booting (due to some other reason). Enabled it again and it worked straight away!

Many thanks to you and @Edhawk for helping me fix my system! Typing this message from my Hackintosh, very happy about this :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.