Need help with RX 6900 XT (Screen refresh rate and OpenCL Score) and unknown CPU

bouncelinger

AMD OS X Member
Hey guys,

i have a good working Ventura 13.2.1 system now, but there are some problems with my GPU and with the unknown CPU.

My Build:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Mainboard: ASRock B550M-ITX/ac
  • Memory: Kingston DIMM 16 GB DDR4-2666 VLP SRx8@3600 Mhz CL16
  • Storage: Solidigm P44 Pro
  • Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT (Founders)
  • Power Supply: Corsair SF750 Platinum
  • Case: NCASE M1
  • WIFI/BT: Broadcom BCM94360NG
Working:
  • Audio
  • BT
  • WIFI
  • iCloud Features (Handoff, iMessage, AirDrop etc.)
  • Apple Watch Unlock
  • Shutdown (after mapping all my USB ports but ignoring the entry "12. PO12 | 00c00000 | Type 3 - LED Controller")
BIOS settings:
  • CSM disabled
  • Above 4G decoding enabled
  • Res Bar enabled
  • Fast boot disabled
Issues:
  • Cannot change the Hz value for my screen refreshrate (170 Hz with Freesync supported by my screen) - results in a black screen
  • OpenCL Score about 20.000 only (while Metal scores 200k)
  • Some minutes after booting in mac os Safari takes very long to open websites
  • My CPU is unknown to macOS
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
  • OpenCL Score about 20.000 only (while Metal scores 200k)
  • Some minutes after booting in mac os Safari takes very long to open websites

You need to add the DeviceProperties for the 6900XT to your Config.plist in order to get Metal / Hardware acceleration supported. this will make safari feel more snappy and chrome finally usable.

I followed this guide.

note that you probably don't need the SSDT, only the DeviceProperties add in your config.plist.

try that 1st, nd if it doesn't work, then you should create an SSDT and add it to the ACPI part of your config.plist

Cannot change the Hz value for my screen refreshrate (170 Hz with Freesync supported by my screen) - results in a black screen

How are you attempting to change the refersh rate? is anything above 60 Hz available in the native MacOS display settings?

I recommend you use SwitchResX to modify the refresh rate, it's worth every penny. ! use it with my 120Hz LG OLED.

My CPU is unknown to macOS

do you have revpatch=cpuname in your Boot Args? this will allow you to manually add or spoof this info in your config.plist.

Note that this is a cosmetic change only and should not effect system performance.

if I recall, the revpatch=cpuname boot arg will allow you to pull System Info from the Platform Info section of your EFI, but I haven't tinkered with my EFI since January and I am a bit rusty.

bouncelinger

AMD OS X Member
You need to add the DeviceProperties for the 6900XT to your Config.plist in order to get Metal / Hardware acceleration supported. this will make safari feel more snappy and chrome finally usable.

I followed this guide.

note that you probably don't need the SSDT, only the DeviceProperties add in your config.plist.

try that 1st, nd if it doesn't work, then you should create an SSDT and add it to the ACPI part of your config.plist

How are you attempting to change the refersh rate? is anything above 60 Hz available in the native MacOS display settings?

I recommend you use SwitchResX to modify the refresh rate, it's worth every penny. ! use it with my 120Hz LG OLED.

do you have revpatch=cpuname in your Boot Args? this will allow you to manually add or spoof this info in your config.plist.

Note that this is a cosmetic change only and should not effect system performance.

if I recall, the revpatch=cpuname boot arg will allow you to pull System Info from the Platform Info section of your EFI, but I haven't tinkered with my EFI since January and I am a bit rusty.
Thanks for your help but i followed the guide to activate hardware acceleration but it did not improve anything. OpenCL Score stays low and metal score still looks okay.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Thanks for your help but i followed the guide to activate hardware acceleration but it did not improve anything. OpenCL Score stays low and metal score still looks okay.
are you sure you have metal support enabled?

can you screen shot your system information graphics /displays tab

you want to see see that metal is running.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.