Do you run multiple hacks at the same time? How do you manage them on your desk?

Mac Arthur

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Happy ending story.
Customer service very responsive, it helps a lot.
After a few tests we confirmed that the front USB ports part was faulty.
They spontaneously proposed to send for free another device... before discovering it was not possible as I live outside of the US.
They finally refunded the KVM price and I got it for free, paying just Amazon delivery and customs duties.
I bought a Ugreen USB switch for 20$ and all is now working.
To be honest, the customer service attitude as been amazing and far beyond what may have happened with some other dealers...
Less cables on the desk and no longer turning around to connect/disconnect 3 DP screens...

NwEfDi9.jpg

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Good to hear you are happy with their customer support and have been able to get the switch working, all be it in an unorthodox manner.

Turns out my issue with the second display was down to the DP cable being partially disconnected from the display. Had the cable set too tight in the cable management clips, so slight knock or movement of the display caused the cable to be pulled from the rear of the display. I suppose that is what you get for using DP cables that lack the retention clips.

I had unplugged and reconnected all 10 DP cables previously but obviously didn’t push that cable home fully or dislodged it when repositioning the display. Just as well I checked it again, as I was close to starting a return. So now both my screens are working as expected.

Mac Arthur

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Edhawk do you "suffer" from EDID issues switching back and forth or all is fine?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Switching between systems using the switch works just fine. Absolutely no issues when doing so.

amdeez

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I run a 7900x + 6950XT and a Windows i7-12700k + 4070TI S on the same desk. My setup won't load my dual display monitors (32" 4K HDMI @ 165hz, 31.5" 1440P DP @ 165hz) at high refresh rates with 2x HDMI so I bought a switch with HDMI and DP. I have keyboard, mouse, microphone, and webcam attached as the switched peripherals. On macOS I can run at 140/165, on Windows I can run at 165 on both.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Surprised you didn't opt for a KVM with dual DisplayPort In/Out ports. As that would have suited both GPU's.

Which cable provides 140Hz and which 165Hz? HDMI 140Hz and DisplayPort 165Hz would be my guess.

Have you looked at creating an Kext that incorporates the EDID and sets the refresh rate at 165Hz.

Hackintool allows you to export a Display kext and a document (plist), both of these contain the EDID, which can be added to your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and/or straight to your config.plist. Adding the kext might be more inline with OC and could help with the refresh issue in macOS.

These are the files Exported from the Hackintool > Displays tab (last icon on right at the bottom).

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 20.47.39.png Hackintool > Displays - Export icon

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 20.43.22.png Hackintool > Displays - Exported files & folders.

The Display-10ac-d06f.kext and the DisplayProductID-0d6f document are the ones on my system that would be of interest from an OpenCore outlook. Your kext and document would be named differently, to reflect the different displays you are using.

Might be something @Mac Arthur should look at doing too.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.