Compatible with Ventura or.. nah? It's okay if it ain't compatible with it though, Monterey is fine for me.

2n32

AMD OS X Member
I've been trying and trying to Hackintosh this laptop (HP 15s-eq series), and kept failing so this forum site might just be my saving light. Lol
So I deleted my Win10 dualboot partition since I didn't really like it and thought it was a waste of storage since I already got Win11 installed, and I got 50GB+ from that. I wanted to try something new though, so I tried to install (or excuse me, Hackintosh if that's what it's called) MacOS 13 (Ventura). (Yes, I'm a newbie to this so please excuse me if this is a stupid question D:)
No matter how much guides I follow though, they all are focused on Intel processors, I can't find any AMD guides, and when I try to use EFIs that claim to be "Working on AMD processors", on bootup it'll say something that goes along the lines of this: "Can't alloc AppleKeyStoreTest", then it'll freeze and it won't continue.
So, just wanted to know if my laptop is compatible with macOS13? My laptop's specs are: 8x1GB of ram (3200 MHz), AMD Ryzen 5 5625U with Radeon Graphics (6 cores 12 threads 2300GHz) and a SK hynix BC711 SSD. I've also heard that you'll need WiFi to continue, and since there are no driver's I'll have to use an ethernet port. (My laptop doesn't have an ethernet port though). So, I just want to know if it's compatible or not, it's fine if it ain't since I just want to try it out anyways, but I might use it more than Windows if it's successful, who knows? :p

2n32

AMD OS X Member
goodness gracious my D: turned into an :) heh

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Well I'd say it is totally possible to turn it into a hackintosh.
According to the CPU's page for your HP 15s-eq, the detailed specs of the chip can be found here:

As it is a Vega chipset, I believe it should work with the NootedRed kext for the AMD Radeon graphics.
It's quite simple to turn it into a hackintosh. Whilst it will still require OC and its related files including
Lilu, VirtualSMC and AppleALC, you'll need some AMD specific power kexts such as AMDCPUPowerManagement
and SMCAMDProcessor.kext. You'll need to remove any CPUID references under Kernel > Emulate.

There are plenty of guides on this site for the Ryzen 5 cpus such as this link.
If you haeve any issues with your build let us know.

2n32

AMD OS X Member
Well I'd say it is totally possible to turn it into a hackintosh.
According to the CPU's page for your HP 15s-eq, the detailed specs of the chip can be found here:

As it is a Vega chipset, I believe it should work with the NootedRed kext for the AMD Radeon graphics.
It's quite simple to turn it into a hackintosh. Whilst it will still require OC and its related files including
Lilu, VirtualSMC and AppleALC, you'll need some AMD specific power kexts such as AMDCPUPowerManagement
and SMCAMDProcessor.kext. You'll need to remove any CPUID references under Kernel > Emulate.

There are plenty of guides on this site for the Ryzen 5 cpus such as this link.

If you haeve any issues with your build let us know.
heyo, I've downloaded the NootedRed thing from GitHub, I'm not sure which one is the kext1688269265355.png

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Okay, but it isn't a kext - it is a Xcode project that needs to be compiled first using Xcode (to turn it into a kext).

Luckily there's one already done. You can find NootedRed.kext at this link here:

Download and open the EFI, copy the NootedRed.kext over and place it into your own EFI/OC/Kexts folder, and in the config.plist disable Whatevergreen under your Kernel > Add section to activate it.

2n32

AMD OS X Member
Okay, but it isn't a kext - it is a Xcode project that needs to be compiled first using Xcode (to turn it into a kext).

Luckily there's one already done. You can find NootedRed.kext at this link here:

Download and open the EFI, copy the NootedRed.kext over and place it into your own EFI/OC/Kexts folder, and in the config.plist disable Whatevergreen under your Kernel > Add section to activate it.
1688280448409.png
Thanks for the link to that! Only problem is that.. I have no idea on how to disable it.
Do I right click the key and click "Remove '2' and any children" or do I just replace the strings with NootedRed instead of WhateverGreen? I'd appreciate a response!

Edit: I've figured out how, I just moved the WhateverGreen kext to my desktop, then I edited the config.plist so that it can detect NootedRed.
Only problem though is, even with the NootedRed kext I still get the "couldn't alloc class: "AppleKeyStoreTest"" error ):
Any fixes? I'd also really much appreciate a response lol

Last edited:

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Okay for the kext key see where it says Enable in the table for Whatevergreen.kext? Set that to False to turn it off. That’s how you can still retain important kexts but not have them loaded at boot.

For the NootedRed just enable it while Whatevergreen is set to disable. Also place Lilu, AppleALC and NootedRed at the top of the table since these are the most important kexts.

Yes link I sent you is helpful but it is not complete and is not how an EFI is normally arranged. For example the EFI/Boot folder is missing. You should read up on the Dortania guide for Opencore on how it should be set.

2n32

AMD OS X Member
Okay for the kext key see where it says Enable in the table for Whatevergreen.kext? Set that to False to turn it off. That’s how you can still retain important kexts but not have them loaded at boot.

For the NootedRed just enable it while Whatevergreen is set to disable. Also place Lilu, AppleALC and NootedRed at the top of the table since these are the most important kexts.

Yes link I sent you is helpful but it is not complete and is not how an EFI is normally arranged. For example the EFI/Boot folder is missing. You should read up on the Dortania guide for Opencore on how it should be set.
Yeah, I've read the OpenCore guide already before, and I just took the kext from that folder lol
Anyways, I've disabled WhateverGreen, so like I don't need to add NootedRed to the Kernel key? Or do I have to? I'm gonna try it later but I've put back WhateverGreen into the Kernel thing and set the key to disabled, still getting the same error (sorry if the image seems a bit warped, i tried my best to make it look normal)
1688451363916.png

Last edited:

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Yeah, I've read the OpenCore guide already before, and I just took the kext from that folder lol
Anyways, I've disabled WhateverGreen, so like I don't need to add NootedRed to the Kernel key? Or do I have to? I'm gonna try it later but I've put back WhateverGreen into the Kernel thing and set the key to disabled, still getting the same error (sorry if the image seems a bit warped, i tried my best to make it look normal)
View attachment 11207
Yes, you need to enable NootedRed under Kernel > Add while Whatevergreen is disabled.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.