$95 AMD CPU turned into 16GB GPU for AI use

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
As an ingenious cost-saving idea, someone has gotten an old Zen 2 Ryzen 5 4600G chip and turned it into a 16GB GPU for AI apps like Stable Diffusion by way of splitting the 32GB system memory which is shared with the IGPU.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
As an ingenious cost-saving idea, someone has gotten an old Zen 2 Ryzen 5 4600G chip and turned it into a 16GB GPU for AI apps like Stable Diffusion by way of splitting the 32GB system memory which is shared with the IGPU.

I will be following this very closely!, I have the 4600G, 4700G and 16 GB VRAM available.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Hi @ExtremeXT I was reading tomshardware article about the 4600G, this line in particular got me wondering:

Typically, 16GB is the maximum amount of memory you can dedicate to the iGPU. However, some user reports claim that certain ASRock AMD motherboards allow for higher memory allocation, rumored up to 64GB.

source

Imagine NRed with 64GB VRAM to play with, the RAM available for AI tasks.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Hi @ExtremeXT I was reading tomshardware article about the 4600G, this line in particular got me wondering:

Typically, 16GB is the maximum amount of memory you can dedicate to the iGPU. However, some user reports claim that certain ASRock AMD motherboards allow for higher memory allocation, rumored up to 64GB.

source

Imagine NRed with 64GB VRAM to play with, the RAM available for AI tasks.
Interesting. Try using UMAF and see how much it allows you to allocate.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Interesting. Try using UMAF and see how much it allows you to allocate.
UMA setting on the Gigabyte B450 motherboard with 32 GB RAM installed only showed 16 GB as the maximum available for VRAM. I'm planning on getting 64 GB RAM to see if I can get 32 GB VRAM and will report back. I wonder which AM4 ASRock motherboard it was.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.