SAM/Resizable BAR support Kext worth it?

keef247

AMD OS X Member
Hi,
I've just chucked a RX 6800 into my dual booting hackintosh, I play a lot of games online in windows, has anyone had any sucess doing this?
I found an old reddit post from 3 years ago saying that it worked, so I'd imagine it's quite polished by now?

I would like to entertain the idea so that I can get the most out of my amd cpu/gpu in windows.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I have a RX 6800 OC in my system. Your title is confusing though. There's no kext required to enable resizable bar. Just modifications to your config.

Booter -> Quirks -> ResizeAppleGpuBars = 0
UEFI -> Quirks -> ResizeGpuBars = -1

Remove npci=0x2000 / npci=0x3000 from your boot args if it's there as it'll conflict with Above 4G decoding.

Once you've set these reboot to the BIOS, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable Bar, save and reboot.

keef247

AMD OS X Member
I have a RX 6800 OC in my system. Your title is confusing though. There's no kext required to enable resizable bar. Just modifications to your config.

Booter -> Quirks -> ResizeAppleGpuBars = 0
UEFI -> Quirks -> ResizeGpuBars = -1

Remove npci=0x2000 / npci=0x3000 from your boot args if it's there as it'll conflict with Above 4G decoding.

Once you've set these reboot to the BIOS, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable Bar, save and reboot.
Ah sorry my bad haha! I just put SAM/Resizable BAR as that's the 2 varients depending on motherboard bios option branding :)

Thanks mate :)

It's nice to have all the gimmicks working with an all AMD system ;)

I'll do it now and post back when it's done and working ;) Already made a backup bootable usb to get me back in with the old config if I screw it up haha!

ResizeAppleGpuBars was -1 so that's changed to = 0
ResizeGpuBars = -1 was already set, so just removed ncpi=0x2000, wish me luck haha!

Last edited:

keef247

AMD OS X Member
Well @Shaneee you're once again a god amongst men! That worked perfectly first time and I just gained like 50+ fps in COD MW3!

Amazing! Typing this as we speak from macos, perfect!

Thank you so much yet again my brother, you are a legend!

Have a great night/weekend!

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Glad to be of assistance :D

keef247

AMD OS X Member
Glad to be of assistance :D
You're a gentleman Sire!

I was so happy, I just finalised the build by treating the rig to a 4TB Crucial P3 whilst it was on sale, I can now retire my OG 2012 MBP and transfer all the stuff to this rig and make it the main mac swiss army knife jack of all trades <3

keef247

AMD OS X Member
@Shaneee Since doing this I have noticed a couple of silly things, sleep now doesn't wake?

Did the usb port mapping ages ago thanks to you, before enabling SAM/Above4GDecoding, sleep did work - not a big deal, I rarely use it, but would be cool if I could make it work.

FWIW I have no usb-c ports and only have a MITX motherboard with 4 USB3.0 and 2 USB2.0 on the rear and 2 USB3.0 ports on the front of the case via the motherboard header?

I could have messed something up with the usb port mapping in the past and not noticed it? I notice that if I have say my wireless logitech k400+ in one of the front ports and a usb drive in the 2nd port on the front, the signal for the logitech k400+ keyboard/touchpad becomes a lot shorter range?

Yet if I plug one of them into one of the rear ports all is well again?

Any ideas @Edhawk ? I've probably messed something up rushing, knowing me haha!

If I upload my usbmap is it just the kexts you look at to see what's wrong? Or a file also created using the program?

leolol.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.